In the midst of a large mass of wood stands the Château de la Mothe-Chandeniers former stronghold which fell the king. From the thirteenth century the manor, then called Motte Bauçay (or Baussay) was owned by the illustrious family of Bauçay, lords of Loudun. Amaury de Baussay distinguished himself in the English wars. In these wars, the Motte Baussay was taken twice by the besiegers.
By the death of Mary Bauçay the castle fell into the family Chaunay to Lord Champdenier. It goes through the following hands of Jean de Rochechouart and into those of François de Rochechouart, Marquis Chandoiseau, giving it the name of the Mothe-Champdenier. When François de Rochechouart was exiled from court in 1650 for being part of the Fronde , he drew from him a real court, bringing together famous names, including the Jesuit Leonardo Frizon (or shivering) who dedicated a poem in 1657, Motha Candeneria form of description of the building, common, chapel and garden. But in 1668, ruined, exhausted of resources, François de La Motte Rochechouart abandoned the castle to his creditors. Marie de Rochechouart, his sister bought the estate.
Devastated during the French Revolution , it was bought in 1809 by François Hennecart , a wealthy businessman d’Orleans . He undertook to restore it to its former glory. The area surrounding was also fitted: he especially dug canals on each side of the building, and behind, he dug a sort of “grand canal”. A vineyard was also planted. It was rebuilt in the English Gothic style, a new building inspired by the Loire castles. There are now turrets, pinnacles, corner towers, mullioned windows. A copy of the staircase wing Francis I of Blois castle would have existed.
François let Hennecart give the castle to his daughter Hennecart Alexandrine, who, having married Jacques Ardoin , transformed it with the help of an English architect, until 1861, in a dream stone in expensive romantic taste Louis II Bavaria , while drawing the English castles of the 19th century.
It was partially destroyed by a great fire March 13, 1932, just after the baron Robert Lejeune, then owner of the castle, has been installing central heating. The castle remains in ruins. Only the chapel behind the castle was spared and still exists today.
Today, the castle is in ruins and is abandoned. Plants grow from both sides and devastating walls and roofs are in poor condition, and stones suffer the passage of time. Only the chapel is still in relatively good condition and recalls with the pigeon, the power of the ancient feud.
- reposted from Wikipedia